I’m not a huge fan of whole raw shelled peas. I will eat them occasionally in salads or mix them into cauliflower “rice” but by and large, I don’t normally keep a very large stock. however, after whipping up this amazing thick mint pea soup, English shelled peas have certainly earned themselves a permanent spot in my fridge. (Side note for anyone living in NYC during the winter time: these little guys can be tough to find. Try Whole Foods Market or the Union Square Green Market).
Before I get to the recipe, I’d like to share some great nutritional facts about fresh raw peas:
- They are low in fat (1 gram per cup)
- Low in calories (117 per cup)
- Good source of dietary fiber (7 grams per cup)
- Great source of protein, especially for raw vegans (8 grams per cup)
- Great source of Vitamin C and Vitamin A
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Servings: 2 cups of soup (one bowl)
- 2 cups fresh raw English peas
- 1 cup fresh pea shoots
- 1/4 cup soaked raw cashews (soak for at least 2 hours)
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup warm filtered water
1. Place all ingredients in a VitaMix blender or high-speed blender of your choice.
2. Turn blender on low and increase speed as the ingredients begin to blend. Blend on high for 30-45 seconds or until completely smooth. The soup will be warm from blending so it’s best to eat immediately.
3. Garnish with a few extra raw peas and pea shoots.