When I first began eating a 100% raw vegan diet, my body really hungered for that dense, full feeling. Sometimes a pound of greens or 5 cups of juice just wasn’t enough. I perused the produce section of my grocery store and the farmers market looking for something to hit the spot and after a long hard search I decided to give raw sweet corn a try. I was a bit skeptical, since I always thought of grilled corn on the cob as my summer staple and I couldn’t see having it and other way.
Well, here’s a nice clique: You never know until you try! I decided to create a big sweet raw corn salad and I’m so glad that I did. After eating practically the whole bowl, I was STUFFED (like the “I’m-having-a-food-baby”, “I-think-I’m-going-into-a-food-coma” stuffed).
I now prepare this for family and friends who have never gone down the raw road. It’s nice to show people that raw food isn’t blah, boring rabbit food. It’s actually super flavorful, super delicious, and super satisfying.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Servings: Approximately 5 cups (2 bowls)
- 4 ears of sweet corn
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 of a white onion
- 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 clove garlic
1. Husk the four ears of corn and remove all the kernels with a sharp knife. Place the kernels from 3.5 ears into a large bowl and the remaining .5 in a smaller bowl off to the side.
2. Slice each cherry tomato in half and add to the large bowl of sweet corn.
3. With a sharp knife, dice the white onion and the avocado and add to the large bowl.
4. In Vitamix or other high speed blender, blend the remaining sweet corn with the lemon juice, cilantro, and garlic until completely smooth.
5. Pour the blended dressing over the the salad and gently mix all ingredients together until the dressing coats the salad.
6. Eat the salad by itself or over a bed of greens. Garnish with a piece of extra cilantro or parsley.