Whether you’re a 100% raw foodist or just looking to incorporate more raw food into your diet, a spiralizer is a great tool to have in your kitchen. It transforms all kinds of whole fruits and vegetables into your choice of long thick ribbons or skinny spaghetti strands.
I think I’m so impressed with this thing because before I purchased mine from Amazon, I would tediously julienne veggies with a handheld peeler, which took far too long. With a spiralizer, I can just place vegetable or fruit on the prongs, spin the crank, and have perfectly shaped ribbons or veggie “pasta” in under two minutes.
It has also encouraged me to create fancy sauces and dressings to pour over the pasta. Since I had some extra whole fresh peas from my mint pea soup earlier this week I figured I’d throw together a raw pea pesto. So if you’re ever craving an delicious rawtalian meal, have a go at this recipe:
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Yield: Approximately 4 cups of zucchini pasta (one large bowl)
- 2 zucchinis
- 2/3 cup raw peas
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 2 TBSP pine nuts
- 1/2 clove fresh garlic
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup diced cherry tomatoes
1. Using a spiralizer or a julienne peeler, spiralize or julienne both zucchinis and place in a large bowl.
2. Using a Vitamix or other high-speed blender, combine peas, basil leaves, Italian parsley, pine nuts, garlic, and water. blend until completely smooth or until desired texture if you like a thicker pesto sauce.
3. Pour the pesto over the zucchini pasta and mix until the zucchini is fully coated.
4. Mix in 1/2 cup diced cherry tomatoes and garnish with some extra Italian parsley. Bon Appétit!