I can always count on the change in season to usher in a wave of inspiration. Today I really felt spring in the air- the sun was shinning, the wind was light, and for the first time in a long time my big, puffy parka remained in the coat closet while I went food shopping. I gathered up as many springtime seasonal fruits, veggies, and herbs as I could carry: asparagus, scallions, lemons, strawberries, radishes, parsley, grapefruit, and spinach, just to name a few. As much as I wanted to nosh on the asparagus spears right out of the bag on the drive home, I refrained and waited so I could make this refreshing salad to go along with my spring spirit:
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 Salad
- 10 large asparagus spears
- 1 cup arugala
- 1 peeled, sliced navel orange
- 2 sliced red radishes
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 chopped scallion
- 2/3 cup cauliflower
- 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 1 fresh garlic clove
1. Place the Arugula in a large bowl. Using a handheld vegetable peeler, make long “ribbons” with the asparagus spears. If the spear becomes too thin to peel, cut into small pieces with the knife. Add the asparagus to the arugula.
2. Add in the orange, raspberries, and cilantro.
3. To make the “rawmesan,” combine cauliflower, lemon juice, and garlic in a food processor and pulse until the ingredients are very finely chopped and resemble a parmesan texture. Add this to the salad
4. Sprinkle the chopped scallion on top of the salad and add some extra lemon juice for more flavor. Garnish with some extra cilantro or parsley.